Anyone know what Hermes likes (or perhaps Odin)?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Audrey

Anyone know what Hermes likes (or perhaps Odin)?

Post by Audrey »

I have only been talking to Hermes for less than a week now and still feel like I haven't connected with him yet. I read he might like poetry but that's all I've got. I think Odin is also associated with Hermes so if they are the same God what does Odin like?
Siona

Re: Anyone know what Hermes likes (or perhaps Odin)?

Post by Siona »

The Orphic hymns suggest burning frankincense for Hermes. Classical offerings would have included ram, pork, mutton, beef, wheat, honey, strawberries, wine, mead, olive oil, and beer. In his chthonic form that would also include eggs, onions, garlic, pomegranate and fish. Modern offerings seem to include chocolate, sweets, and coffee. Non-food offerings include things like currency (especially currency from lands other than the one you live in), dice, lottery tickets, cards, etc, things associated with games and gambling.

Herme's page on Theoi is also a great resource which might give you more ideas. Additionally, you might also find this book interesting Guardian of the Road, it's a collection of poems, prayers, essays, stories, etc, modern devotees have written for/about Hermes.
autumn swan

Re: Anyone know what Hermes likes (or perhaps Odin)?

Post by autumn swan »

Audrey wrote:less than a week now and still feel like I haven't connected with him yet.
Well how could you connect when you've been talking less than a week to him? :shock: It takes time to bond. Sounds like you put yourself under some pressure here...?
Audrey wrote:I think Odin is also associated with Hermes so if they are the same God what does Odin like?
They are not the same. The Romans used to compare gods of other cultures with their own gods, and who wouldn't? Especially since most gods fall into certain categories its easy to do that but while it can be helpful it can also be confusing, I guess? Also it's personal experience that counts. I felt Hermes was kind of guiding me when I first started working with gods, and helped me find my place. Of course he is also connected to magic, like Odin, but I didn't get to know this aspect of him.

When it comes to Odin I feel like he is really interested in teaching people (who are interested) all about the runes. Well, I guess if you're from the South of Europe, want to work with runes but have greek gods Hermes could help with that, too. :flyingwitch:

Why don't you ask Hermes what he likes or would want you to offer him? That's a way better way to learn and trust your own intuition.
May the Lord and the Lady bless you.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”