New to meditation

Post meditations or discuss consciousness exploration here.
ladedadedadedadeda

New to meditation

Post by ladedadedadedadeda »

Hey all,

Started what I think is meditating. I sit (started at 2 minutes and now at 5 min in the morning when I first get up) and with my eyes closed, I count my breath in and out up to 10 and then start back at one. If I get distracted, I just bring myself back to my breath.

Is this right? when could I expect to see a difference in myself? What else could I do?

Thanks.
corvidus

Re: New to meditation

Post by corvidus »

Perfect! Awareness of the breath is the first step!

Doing this repeatedly will help you quite a bit. In times of stress, it will teach you to focus on the breath. It will help you stay centered and it will help you become more aware of what you're thinking (because you're supposed to be counting breaths, so when you're not, you'll know).

Next, try counting to 50, then 100. You can also try breathing into different parts of your body. Breath deep into your belly, for example.

In the end, you'll want to be able to be aware of the breath, but not count or think about the breath while doing it. This is called me talking vacancy, and it's difficult at first.
ladedadedadedadeda

OK thank you. Thanks helpful advice. Just hard to know if it's doing all the good stuff I've read meditation does.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Sounds like you got it down. I think it make take some time to see a change, and it can be subtle. Keep at it! My teacher always says, "it's a practice" kinda like learning to play music...you must stick with it to get good :D
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
ladedadedadedadeda

Yeah I guess so. View it like my training. It's the journey and effort into each session, long term results.
XVIII

Post by XVIII »

corvidus wrote:Next, try counting to 50, then 100. You can also try breathing into different parts of your body. Breath deep into your belly, for example.
Thank you so so much for this idea!! I've always counted from 1 to 10 and then started again from 1 and so on. Returning to the number one makes me restless. I just tried this counting from 1 to 50. Now I counted to 50 and every new number felt like progress. I'll keep on counting to 50 and then to 100 when I feel like ready for it! Thank you.

I have also tried to count the numbers in some foreign language. The numbers in native language are downloaded with so many feelings bringing memories. For example I've been trying to count in English, French and Swedish. I recommend trying!
"she's mad but she's magic, there's no lie in her fire"
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

GalaxyTab4G wrote:
I have also tried to count the numbers in some foreign language. The numbers in native language are downloaded with so many feelings bringing memories. For example I've been trying to count in English, French and Swedish. I recommend trying!
Kool! In aikido we count in Japanese, and there does seem to be a different value to the numbers. Nice idea!

Return to “Consciousness Work and Meditation”