Lodestones

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
aloneinmyhut

Lodestones

Post by aloneinmyhut »

Hi guys

I'm in the process of collecting all stones I feel I'll need and I purchased a lodestone last week to add to my collection.

Problem is it isn't magnetic at all. I've tried with a keyring, a coin, wire, but nothing.

I then thought maybe because they are too big, so I cut some wire into tiny pieces and tried, but they too didn't stick.

I purchased them from a reputable seller who always delivers quality products so I don't want to contact her and complain about it, there's no reason why it wouldn't be a real lodestone, but everything I've read about them suggests that are magnetic.

My question is are some lodestones not magnetic? Is there anyway this can simply be an unmagnetic lodestone? If so then will its magical properties still work?

Thanks

:flyingwitch:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Lodestones

Post by SpiritTalker »

The only thing that sticks to mine is iron filings, or what they call lodestone food. The magnetiism is very subtle. To double check your stone, hold a compass near. The compass needle should at least flutter. If not, complain.
Siona

Post by Siona »

Often two smaller stones of the same size will often gently stick together (although it can be a bit of work to find two that fit nicely), they're often used in magic that way, particularly love magic. But yeah, they're not very powerful magnets. It's also very possible for them to lose their magnetism, especially if they've been sitting next to metal or something like that. So you might have a lodestone that's lost it's magnetism on your hands. Usually it's the actual magnetic properties that are used in magic, although a stone that's lost it's magnetism might have other uses, that's personally when I would retire it.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Try rubbing it around in the dirt, small metallic particles should stick to it.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

If you're wanting a stronger magnetic pull, try magnetic hematite.

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”