What crystals should I consider getting first?

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
OnceInABlueMew

What crystals should I consider getting first?

Post by OnceInABlueMew »

So I'm a total newb when it comes to crystals and stones and gems. Frankly, I'm a newb at everything witchy but that's a story for another thread.
So I have a little bit of extra money knocking about on my Amazon and I'm wondering as a newbie witch, what would be the best crystals to think about getting ? Obviously I don't want to buy a crystal and find out it only has uses in sea witchery when I live several miles from the ocean, you feel?
So what stones could I begin with, and can common stones found underfoot have magickal properties at all? Even glass?
Thank you, peace and blessings!
=Mew=
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: What crystals should I consider getting first?

Post by SpiritTalker »

You"ll just have to pick one's you like. It's a personal choice. Possibly a good start is one each for grounding, healing and cleansing. Grounding/shielding stones are commonly the black ones. Green & red one's heal. White or yellow cleanse. Blue and purple lean toward the psychic senses. Clear quartz is all-purpose. There are always exceptions. Shapes like spheres and pyramids affect performance. Spheres radiate all-around, evenly, gently. Pyramids focus. Rods or wands even more so.

Anyone who works passionately with stones will have personal favorites. And sometimes these are just plain rocks. Yes, all stones have something to offer. Stones hold and store energy until something dislodges it. Ordinary stones with unique features will suggest their own special uses.

As far as glass, or man-made stones, "gold stone" comes in brown, green, blue and purple (hard to get) and is just fun. It sparkles because of the copper, which makes it a good piece for telepathy and out of body travel.

Palm-stones and thumb-stones refer to the size.

For my own use, I prefer black tourmaline, white selenite, honey or brown amber and clear or white quartz. All but the quartz are self cleansing, and clear other stones.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Choose the ones that call to you! The ones that you go back to and look at over and over again. Maybe try choosing stones that are associated with your birthday or with your interests. For expample, if you're interested in reading tarot, research which stones would work best with tarot. Just some suggestions!

Rosie
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Hey Rosie, that's a good idea.
BlessedbyHecate

Post by BlessedbyHecate »

Start small, tumbled quartz, rose quartz, amethyst and expand later, no need to spend all your money on expensive flashy clusters and geodes. You could look up your starsign gemstone and try that one out too. Get to know yourself.
Blessed be by Hecate!
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

Quartz are very powerful and versatile, so they get my vote. But yes if something calls, listen. :)
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

I know that this thread was created a couple of months back but I'd assume that this question is pretty common. I just picked out my firsts over the past month and I tried to my best to go with intuition with a little guidance from the shop clerk. I'd suggest driving to a place in which you can pick them out physically. For me it was worth the 25 minute drive. Beforehand I had looked online and had deep admiration and a fondness for the lighter colored stones such as moonstone for example. When I left the shop I left with primarily dark colored stones which come to find out are all excellent grouding stones and good root Chakra which delighted me because it was the most logical to me for beginning crystals. I knew I needed a clear quartz because I've repeatedly read that it is supposed to amplify all but I have yet to work with the clear quartz that I picked out.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Rock and mineral shows are very good resources. They attract both the hard core rockhounds, and the metaphysical crowd. It can be a good place to get a broader perspective on the crystals being considered.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
evil ed

Post by evil ed »

I can't agree more with Snow on this one! The books are great for general information, but nothing beats hands-on stone choosing! You may decide you "need" a orange calcite, but find that a quartz "tells you" that you "need" it more!
By the prickling of my thumbs,
something Wiccan this way comes!
CleverlyDisguised

Post by CleverlyDisguised »

evil ed wrote:I can't agree more with Snow on this one! The books are great for general information, but nothing beats hands-on stone choosing! You may decide you "need" a orange calcite, but find that a quartz "tells you" that you "need" it more!
i like going into stores like Harmony or green earth for that purpose

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”