Tarot readings using up energy?

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
[DarkWoman]

Tarot readings using up energy?

Post by [DarkWoman] »

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the feeling of being "drained" after doing a couple of readings? I was doing some for my friend tonight, and after the first 4 I felt mentally drained. (She had about 7 questions... all different too, lol) This happens even when I read for myself. I know that readings use up energy, but is it common to experience the "blahs" if I attempt more than 3 in one sitting? I remeber when I could do 10 if I wanted to.... that was when I was learning how to read. Any advice is much appreciated.
DarkWoman
All healing takes place in the dark.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

You should try grounding and centering yourself more often. If you're draining that fast then you need to allow yourself to connect to the earth again and replenish. Maybe you're also straining too hard to find meanings instead of letting the interpretations come to you.

I'm not a tarot expert, but that's pretty much what I'd recommend with any type of energy drain, aside from deliberate attacks.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

i think your putting more energy than necessary into it.
[DarkWoman]

Post by [DarkWoman] »

:) Thanks guys. I will try grounding while reading the next time I do this, but to be honest with you... I'm not sure that I can do a reading without putting some type of energy into it. To me that makes it more... personalized for lack of a better word. I just concentrate on the question while shuffling and I do let the interpretations come to me. At least at first I do, when I get tired I do notice myself trying harder when I shouldn't. Just out of curiosity, how many readings do you generally do in one sitting? Is it ever more than 3?
DarkWoman
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

i never do more than one tarot reading at one time, if the person im reading for needs a little more than tarot provides i may pull out the runes something else.

its good to put energy, but in some things less is more.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

I once did 17 readings for charity, at a fete. I have a few funny stories I can tell about that! To say it was draining was an understatement. I don't do them now,except for unusual circumstance. Sometimes I get someone who is in need and I will offer, but I found, previously, that too many people rely on Tarot for 'miracle' solutions and fast answers, while trying to play test the psychic too.
[DarkWoman]

Post by [DarkWoman] »

:shock: OMG!!!! 17 reading Eretik!!!! I can't believe you aren't crying at the memory. But it does feel good to give for charity too. I doubt that I could attempt the same. But thanks for your advice. Some people do try to test the psychic, and those people don't receive readings from me. I read for a friend who also does readings herself, however she wanted anothers advice as well. I need the people I read for to interpret what I'm interpreting so to speak, as the card for romance/love may not always be about a relationship. I'm still learning and people who don't understand that would want to rake me through the coals most likely. But thanks for letting me know that doing a lot of readings can be trying. I guess in this respect, everybody's different.

Sobek, thanks for your advice. I will try to use the less is more method. :) You also made me think about putting a limit on how many readings I will do for a friend who asks. Until I am proficient enough, they only get 3 readings. I don't like doing a million readings anyways because since they don't always tell me their questions, I feel as if they are asking the same ones repeated times to see if the results are different. Or they ask questions that you don't need the tarot's help in answering. Ya, this is a big duh, but at least I figure it out sooner rather than later. Thanks guys.
DarkWoman
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

That's not a big duh, you are correct about what you said. Probably a silly question, but do you 'whip' out the deck when asked? It's better to do it 'by appointment' so to speak. This gives you time to prepare and get into a relaxed and focused frame of mind. I have done readings 'out of the blue' and that's when I find I get drained, not enough of me to go round sometimes.lol. Keeping the young ones from interfering and 'joining in' can be distracting, I have found - and I live in a kiddie oriented house.lol. I like to have some incense on the go and I use a cloth for the cards. I like my black cloth as my cards are very colourful and the images stand out well against it. Just an idea, but you write often in indigo blue, a favourite colour? Maybe try using this colour on a cloth, inspiration may flow better. You sound like you are doing well, don't worry about it.
[DarkWoman]

Post by [DarkWoman] »

Eretik, you hit the nail on the head. I do whip out the cards whenever asked. Or should I say, I did, lol. I would even whip out my friends' cards, as mine do not go everywhere with me. (I can read with other decks well, but I know my own decks much, much better.) This is something that I won't be doing anymore. At least not all the time, and my new rule is "3 readings and that's my limit." :lol: I love a lot of colors, btw: pink, blue, violet, black, deep red, and many others. But I love the night shades mostly. With pink included,lol. (Can you tell that I like pink?) I have a cloth for my first deck, but not for my newest one. Although I have small hands, I have an odd attraction to very large cards. I usually can't find a big enough cloth. And when I do, they are too big and it is hard to wrap them decently. This isn't a big deal though, I just have to get brave enough to use the scissors sometime. *gulp*
Thanks for your help and encouragement.
DarkWoman
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Here's an idea, after you get a nice sized cloth to wrap the cards in store them in a nice pouch. It'll keep the wrappings from coming undone and make them more portable.
[DarkWoman]

Post by [DarkWoman] »

Sercee wrote:Here's an idea, after you get a nice sized cloth to wrap the cards in store them in a nice pouch. It'll keep the wrappings from coming undone and make them more portable.

:idea: That's such a cool idea! I love my witchy friends. So crafty! I'm going to see how handy I can be with scissors........and a needle..... I'm going to try to make my own pouch. I made one a while back. A healing pouch for a friend. It was really small though. Wish me luck and thanks for the idea, neat! lol
DarkWoman

Eretik

Post by Eretik »

I have a small deck, it's unusual. It's Shakespearean - with quotes from the plays. I have small hands too! I made my own pouch, interestingly from a black velvet glove, with Victorian style beading on it, I found it in the park. I just love Black, there's no mystical significance to it.I know some people take it really seriously and clean and charge their cards regularly, but I tend to handle mine a lot. I like to look at them and read the quotes from time to time. I have a Thoth deck too, which I keep for my own more esoteric readings - don't want to scare my wee clients - they find The Thoth images frightening!lol. A colour or pattern you like on your cloth is a good way to help you relax- too wild though and it could distract!
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

That's such a cool idea! I love my witchy friends. So crafty! I'm going to see how handy I can be with scissors........and a needle..... I'm going to try to make my own pouch. I made one a while back. A healing pouch for a friend. It was really small though. Wish me luck and thanks for the idea, neat! lol
No Prob! Enjoy :)
I made my own pouch, interestingly from a black velvet glove, with Victorian style beading on it, I found it in the park.
As they say, one person's garbage is another's treasure. That sounds really nice!
[DarkWoman]

Post by [DarkWoman] »

Eretik wrote: I have a Thoth deck too, which I keep for my own more esoteric readings - don't want to scare my wee clients - they find The Thoth images frightening!lol.

I have heard about that deck. I've never seen it though, but I have heard about the images being a bit on the scary side. That and the Crowley deck. I just think its a matter of preference. Some people don't like darker images, some people do.... but I'm gonna check them out on my next trip to the new age store.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I have a Crowley deck, though I haven't used it in years. I've never seen a Thoth deck, so I don't know what the difference is.

I've been thinking of starting again, but I'd get a new deck that suits me now if I did. I haven't thought much of what deck I'd like, but dragons would probably be involved.

Return to “Tarot Talk”