depressed

Discussion of healing and energy work. (We have a new forum for Prayer Requests. It's down in the Member's Nook.)
Abren

depressed

Post by Abren »

I wasn't sure where to ask this so I posted it here. Does anybody know a spell to help cheer youself up. I recently did a quiz on the internet (not very accurate I guess but accurate enough) and it said I was clinically depressed and to go see a doctor because I got 8 out of 100 (I'm addicted to quizzes). I am not gonna tell my dad that I'm deressed becasue he'd want to know why and I don't like to worry him. He has enough on his plate right now. My doctor scares me and my dad would have to arrange an appointment. I try acting happy to see if that helps but it isn't really.
fire_without_smoke

Post by fire_without_smoke »

If you can work with energy you can try getting rid of the negative energy.A spiritual healing could help do that. Alternatively you could visualise yourself happy, but make sure it is happy for a long time not just a short period of time, because visualising things has sometimes gone wrong for me because I didn't consider everything I needed.
moonlit

Post by moonlit »

I'm gonna put my 2 cents in here.....

I'm sorry but i dont think you should rely on a computer quiz to tell you weather you are depressed or not.... In my opinion depression is just where you are feeling sorry for yourelf... depressed people think only on the bad things in life and not the good.... are you free?? can you walk?? can you see?? do you have a house?? do you get free education?? do you have food?? can you hear? do you have family? Are you without disease? are you healthy? are you not abused?? do you have shoes to put on your feet?? if you can say yes to any of these then you have no right to be depressed.. millions of children starve., have no homes, have diseased and they dont go around moping and complaining....they deal with it and they look on the bright side of life... sociaty just wants to be lazy and instead of getting there butts in gear and being thankful for what they have they take pills that most of the time make you feel even worse... get you addicted or dont even help you at all. In my opinion you should quit thinking about what you dont have and start focasing on what you do have.

sorry... it's just that I've seen too many people waste there lives on being "depressed".... we ALL get down in the dumps and have crappy times now and then life is a rollercoaster, but its no reason to take pills or moap around, I've seen so many people with a lot to offer in life and theythrow it away cuz all they can think about it the bad stuff in there life. I dont think anyone is given anything they cant handle in life.. and what wounds us will only make us stronger if you just deal with it. The world isn't going to get better with a lot of ppl who feel pitty for themselves.

I've also seen people with a lot worse things happen to them then half the peple in the world have ever gone through MAKE IT! Horrible things happen to themyet they keep a possitive attitude and end up having great, meaningful, and wonderful lives just because they didnt sit around popping pills or feeling sorry for themselves.

so you can either be a person to get up on your feet and make a differance... or you can stay on your butt and be part of the problem.

**Nothing is set in stone**
Abren

Post by Abren »

I guess I don't have the right to be depressed but I get depressed about lots of stuff very easily and I don't cope with stuff that makes me sad very well. Especially when I can't let go of the past and things which used to hurt me and still do :( . But moonlit, thinking about starving children dosn't make me feel better it makes me feel Worse, because there's nothing I can do to help them, I can't relate to them and even though I try to feel better when I compare my life to their's it doesn't really help. I just thing that they put up with some much more sh*t then me and keep going, where as I would have slit my wrists long ago if I lived like that. I do spells to sort this sh*tty world out but I can't see them working. I have some stuff and people say concentrate on the good stuff but maybe I'm pathtic and I know that more then anyone, but I don't see that much good stuff. And what other people would see as good stuff, like going to a great school, I don't see as so great because the teachers think we're all so clever and will do great, but then it's just pressure so when I don't do well in my exams I feel worse. Pratically the only things I view are good are my Friends and my Dad, but I don't want to tell my friends my problems because I don't feel close enough and I hate worring my Dad as he has enough Sh*t to contend with. I'm gonna shut up now because I only sound really Sad, Pathtic and everything you don't like really.
silverwitchi

Post by silverwitchi »

Abren.

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here. Actually your correct you can't help being depressed. Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and other factors. It's not something a person can just snap out of and most depression has been proven to be hereditary. We all get depressed from time to time, but if depression goes on any length of time it does need to be treated. You say you don't want to bother your father, I think you should consider discussing your depression with him, you may be surprised on how under standing he may be.

I wish you the best and do hope you feel better.

FWIW

Bright Blessings
Dancing_Moon_Child

Post by Dancing_Moon_Child »

Very good advice Silver. Depression is not a condition that you put yourself into. It is a chemical imbalance in your brain (scientific fact). Sometimes talking with a therapist helps and sometimes it's a combination of short term drug therapy and talk therapy. Only a professional can diagnose you as having depression and work with you on what treatment will be best. I have clinical depression myself. It's not something I consciously do, it just happens. After September 11 it got terrible. I pictured all kind of horrible thiings happening to my family and friends, I couldn't sleep, I became self destructive. I got help. Come to find out I was suffering from Post Traumatic Stress. I've had some really bad things happen to me in my life. I thought I deserved it so I never sought help for it. To compare people with disabilities as having real problems to someone suffering from depression as not having problems is like comparing apples to oranges. Depression still suffers a stigma in this day and time. It doesn't have to and I really feel sorry for the people who have no compassion for others with problems no matter how petty they seem to you. Until you have walked a mile in someones moccasins you have NO right to judge them.
Abren, your father loves you. He's your father and therefore would not want you to suffer silently. Help is just a small step away....baby steps sweetie. Email me privately if you want. My email address is dancingmoonchild@bellsouth.net.
We care about you and no one should ever minimize how you feel. Your feelings are real and valid.
Peace and Love,
Dancer

PS Moonlit, I'm going to chalk up your uncaring reply to someone who asked for help to your age. I'm also going to ask Creator to be gentle with you when he throws curves your way. Count your blessings and be thankful for what you have now. And it won't hurt you to go online and research depression so that the next time someone asks for help you won't be so quick to further add to their depression.
If you want to feel rich, just count all the things you have that money can't buy.
Anon

"A wee child toddling in a wonder world, I prefer to their dogma my excursions into
the natural gardens where the voice of the Great Spirit is heard in the twittering of
birds, the rippling of mighty waters, and the sweet breathing of flowers. If this is
Paganism, then at present, at least, I am a Pagan."
Zitkala-Sa (Sioux)
GenevieveDawn

Post by GenevieveDawn »

Depression IS NOT ALWAYS caused by a chemical inbalance. How do I know? One, I've taken MANY college courses on psychology. Another thing is I've been of and on antidepressants for years. 2 months ago I stopped taking Paxil after being on it for over 4 years. Yes SOME depression is a chemical inbalance in the brain. These are sometimes the people who's life doesn't really seem to be all that bad, yet they still can't handle it. Other people have more of what is called situational depression. Depression that is caused by trauma or specific life events. And yes more than one doctor has told me that very same thing.
How was I able to stop taking them? Yes, I did alot of spells for stress and depression and they've seemed to work for me. I won't say that I still don't have horrible days, but I think the work I did on myself helped. You can also do spells to rid yourself of negativity and that works along w/ the other spells.
...magic consists of removing the limitations from what we think are the earthly and spiritual laws that bind or compel us. We can be anything because we are ALL. - Mary Greer
darkestlight*

my 2 cents

Post by darkestlight* »

i dont know how to help but i do have to say that i think that yes depression can be caused by chemical imbalances but unless you go to the doctor you cant know and if it is an imbalance then you should get treated but either way you should at least be grateful that you have friends and parents even if you dont want to talk to them about this they are still there and they care about you. If you really think you cant talk to them do you know anyone else you could talk to like an aunt or a counciller and i know that sounds like some lame t.v. show advice but sometimes talking to a counciller at school or an aunt or someone can actually help. I know you dont want to worry your dad but i really think it would be best if you told him about it so you could get treated.
silverwitchi

Post by silverwitchi »

Dancing Moon Child

I also have Post Traumatic Stress and deal with it on a daily basis. I'm not a expert and haven't taken any college, but I do live with it daily. I'm no expert just a survivor and help others along the way. Thanks for the super post, I agree 100%

Bright Blessings

smiley17_shades
Abren

Post by Abren »

First, Thanks to you all for being so understanding!
Second, I don't know about it being a chemical imbalance, and had never heard that before. It could be hereditary because my Dad is down a lot, and my biological mother is really screwed up in her head (her words not mine). But really, I've never been very good at coping with my problems and am not the strongest of people emotional. At the moment the magor reason I'm down so much I think is that I'm waiting to change classes. I have no friends in my class really and that makes lesson very lonely. There is a sweet girl who is nice to me but I don't like leaning on people to much in case people think I'm pathtic, which I try not to be. Most people think I'm mean because I distance myself from people a lot because I was hurt a lot by people in the past. They were bullies I guess, but when the bully is your only friend it's makes the situation a lot more complicated. I'd post the story but it's long, proberlay irrelevant and I don't want to bore anyone.
moonlit

Post by moonlit »

I'm sorry but I have just seen too many people waste there lives and get addicted to some drug cuz they were "depressed" and chose not to look on the good side of life. People have crappy lives.. I know.. but there is always someone worse off. I dont know.. I guess I'm just so tired of people around me whining about what they dont have instead of being thankful for what they do have. It pisses you off for a while
**Nothing is set in stone**
Abren

Post by Abren »

I wouldn't go on drugs for it because I'm only 13. I understand your point moonlit though, and I guess other people do have it much worse, but stuff that seems little to other people, when it's you can be pretty big.
darkestlight*

drugs

Post by darkestlight* »

i definantly think you should not go on drugs for it unless you find out for sure it is an imbalance, but i will say the just becuase you are 13 does not mean they will not try and give you drugs for it whether it is or not, i have a friend who has been on depression medication since she was 13 which has only been 3 yrs., but still.
Celeste Isis Kerri

Post by Celeste Isis Kerri »

Adren I know how you feel. I was the sameway at your age, it seems to come in waves among women.

I was depressed at 13-16 and I happen to be struggling with it again.

If you can get someone to talk to (professional) do it, you'll feel better.
_Snow_Falcon_

Post by _Snow_Falcon_ »

Anti-depressants should only be taken as a last resort if you ask me. I was first put on anti-depressants 6 years ago, and everytime i bring up the subject of getting off of them my doctors or my mom always throw some medical jargon at me and change the subject. It's really annoying. I just wish i could be myself and not be druged up all the time.

Return to “Healing and Energy Work”