Jimsonweed

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
poetry_princess

Jimsonweed

Post by poetry_princess »

Does anyone know anything about this herb? i know its fatal if ingested...but i heard that you can take ritual baths in it. Is that true?
Blessed BE all the Children of Gaia

There Exist only 3 beings in the world worthy of regognition: the priest, the soldier, the poet. To know, to kill, to create.
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Here is the info I found by searching Google for 'jimson weed bath': I also hit the jackpot by finding this page here, which is very long with a LOT of background info, uses, dosages, etc.:
http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/amethys ... nweed.html

DATURA - JIMSON WEED
Coarse, erect, rank-smelling herbs; leaves large, short-stalked; flowers large, showy, white or purple-tinged or yellowish, heavily fragrant. Fragrant white flowers, placed beside the pillow, are supposed to help relieve insomnia. All parts of Datura are poisonous. The seeds were used in ceremonial rites by the original inhabitants of the Southwest. Carefully regulated doses produce hallucinations; overdoses are sometimes fatal. A finely puberulent, bright green annual, Jimson Weed stands erect 1-9 dm tall. the large gray-green ovate leaves have few to no teeth on the edges. They are velvety beneath. The large, conspicuous, trumpet shaped flower blooms March-October or throughout the year after rains & displays a purple-tinged throat of white petals. It opens early in the evening & closes before noon the next day. The globose nodding capsule, about the size of a walnut, is covered with slender, glandular spines. This plant grows in sandy flats, arroyos, beach edges & along roads from sea level to about 800 m throughout most of the peninsula & on several Gulf islands. Its range extends north & east. Liquid brewed from the crushed herb contains the drug atropine. The crushed plant is used for bruises, swelling, saddle sores & as a treatment for poisonous bites.

Hope that helps.

poetry_princess

sweeet. thanks for the info. im reading magickal herbalism by scott cunningham, and the other name for Jimsonweed is Belladonna...i didnt know they were the same thing. i did know that belladonna was a baneful witch's herb used to promote astral projection.

There Exist only 3 beings in the world worthy of regognition: the priest, the soldier, the poet. To know, to kill, to create.
Dancing_Moon_Child

Post by Dancing_Moon_Child »

Ooohhhhh....Belladonna....damn near killed me in 1980. It was an ingredient in a cold medicine, I think it was Comtrex or something like that. I woke up and was paralyzed. There was oxygen involved and Narcon....Benadryl......talk about being scared crapless. I think that was one of the last times I took a medication that came from a drug store. Funnily enough it was the herbal part of the Comtrex (I think that was it) that almost killed me. Betcha they stopped using it to help you get some sleep when you had a cold.......LMAO
Peace and Love,
Dancing Moon Child bigeyed-confused
If you want to feel rich, just count all the things you have that money can't buy.
Anon

"A wee child toddling in a wonder world, I prefer to their dogma my excursions into
the natural gardens where the voice of the Great Spirit is heard in the twittering of
birds, the rippling of mighty waters, and the sweet breathing of flowers. If this is
Paganism, then at present, at least, I am a Pagan."
Zitkala-Sa (Sioux)
poetry_princess

Dancing Moon Child wrote:Ooohhhhh....Belladonna....damn near killed me in 1980. It was an ingredient in a cold medicine, I think it was Comtrex or something like that. I woke up and was paralyzed. There was oxygen involved and Narcon....Benadryl......talk about being scared crapless. I think that was one of the last times I took a medication that came from a drug store. Funnily enough it was the herbal part of the Comtrex (I think that was it) that almost killed me. Betcha they stopped using it to help you get some sleep when you had a cold.......LMAO
Peace and Love,
Dancing Moon Child bigeyed-confused
wow! thats a scary ass experience.

Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

They put Belladonna in Comtrex?!! That's very interesting. I've never heard of anything like it. I know Belladonna can kill you. I'm surprised it was in an over-the-counter medicine.

poetry_princess

that is pretty weird. and very scary. good thing i dont take drugs...

Comus

Post by Comus »

I know a guy who ate Belladonna (Deadly Nightshade) berries. They had no visible effect. Some people are just like that..or maybe it was a different plant
Idz qaala

Post by Guest »

I have read Scott Cunningham's book, and I do trust him, but Belladonna and Jimsonweed are not related that closely.

Belladonna, or Deadly Nightshade, has a different effect on the body than Datura Stramonium (Jimsonweed). Datura is a powerful hallucenogenic plant, and I would not advice bathing it in, as open wounds are succeptable to it's toxins.

In the sixties, Datura was a plant often consumed to promote a cheaper LSD-like high. Sadly, the plant is more fatal than the drug when taken in large doses.

Though the flowers are pretty, all parts of the plant are toxic.

It grows wild near my house. If you're dealing with it, be very careful.
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

yes,Belladonna and Datura are two totally different Plants though they are from the same family-Solanaceae, and they both contain tropane alkaloids.

DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR THESE PLANTS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”